Graphics card is the main component that is useful for activities such as gaming, video streaming, and video rendering. You can find out what graphics cards you have in your PC to know if can support your desired applications. Graphics cards work along with GPUs to help you with faster processing and productivity. Graphics cards can process huge amounts of data. They have a processing capability where they can handle many streams of data simultaneously. If your work demands activities such as video streaming or content creation, you can pick a processor with graphics cards and GPU.
There are two types of graphics cards- integrated and discrete. An integrated graphics card is present next to a CPU and is therefore integrated into the system along with the other components. As they are connected to the motherboard or processor, it has all the connections within the system. It may have a lower processing capacity as compared to the discrete type. A discrete type has its own circuit board. This type of graphics card has a higher processing capability. It can handle intensive tasks and high productivity activities since it has a separate circuit board. You can expect activities such as 3D rendering, videos, graphics, and content creation. It is perfect for games that demand faster clock speed, while also handling a constant data flow.
Since the discrete graphics card has faster processing capability, it also requires more space within the system. It can also lead to overheating issues that make it necessary to monitor the temperature and arrange for cooling. Graphics cards are constantly upgraded and updated in the market. It is beneficial to know the graphics card in your PC for applications. Two main players – AMD and Nvidia produce and release newer versions of graphics cards. As the graphics cards involve complex design and structure, it is necessary to understand what type of graphics card supports which activities.
Opting for a new graphics card for applications in your PC
An old and outdated card may not support the newer games of today. These demand faster processing that cannot be matched by the old processors. You must check what type of GPU and graphics card is necessary for a particular type of game. You can also check the specifications and features of each graphics card before knowing the right choice for your applications.
When you would like to buy a new graphics card, you may need to discard the older ones. If the old graphics card is outdated, you can sell it to us at BuySellRam.com. We accept old GPUs, hard drive, memory, CPUs, processors, and computer parts. Most of the old graphics cards may have a demand in the after-market. Here, the graphics card may be recycled in order to revive it and can be used once again.
If you have any particular game in mind, you may want to check the minimum specifications necessary in order to run it. They mention the specifications and features that support the particular process. You must ensure that the minimum recommendations are satisfied by your hardware before you can install and proceed. It is necessary for extracting the maximum benefit from the system. It can also ensure that the power efficiency is optimum.
Understanding the type of graphics card in your system
Graphics cards have two numbers- one model number refers to the GPU number. This refers to the main chip that does the actual work. It is a complex chip consisting of multiple cores and threads. The multi-core feature allows it to handle many streams of data. It can manage the excessive workload leading to faster processing speed. The other model number refers to the physical card itself. This includes components such as the cooler, voltage regulation module, and other components attached within the network.
AMD and Nvidia produce discrete GPUs with a variety of features. The GPUs have high clock speed, memory capacity, and number of cores. You can use them for plenty of applications. Due to the consistent performance capability, you would find it difficult to get these GPUs. They often go out of stock in the market. As the demand keeps rising, you may experience shortages.
There are few manufacturers that produce the cards themselves and use the chip from AMD or Nvidia. For example, manufacturers like Asus, EVGA, MSI and Gigabyte make the cards and integrate it with AMD or Nvidia chips. The different manufactures differ in terms of the individual components. For example, they may offer different fans or cooking systems. The difference can also be terms of memory or processing capacity. Some graphics cards have a capability of overclocking that means the clock speed can be increased from the base speed to boost speed.
To know what graphics card is in your PC, follow these steps:
A. If you have Windows 10
If you are using Windows 10, you can find the details of the graphics card and GPU from the ‘Task Manager’.
- You can open task manager by right-clicking the taskbar. Then you can select on Task Manager.
- Another option is to press Windows+Esc
- When you open Task Manager, you would see several tabs on the top row. For example, some of the tabs include Processes, Performance, App History, Startup, Users, Details, and services.
- You must click on the Performance tab. If you are not able to see the Performance tab, you can click on ‘More Info’
- When you click the performance tab, you will see a list of CPUs, memory, disk, ethernet, and GPU. You can click on GPU 0. This will open the details of the GPU on the right top corner. You can read the GPU manufacturer and model name. You can also find details like percentage of utilization, GPU memory, dedicated and shared GPU memory.
- If you are using multiple GPUs, you will find a list of GPUs with numbers such as GPU 1, GPU 2, and so on. You can click on each individual one to know the details.
B. If you are using older version of Windows such as Windows 7
- While using older version of Windows, you can use the DirectX diagnostic tool. It provides information about the model name and number of the GPU.
- To open it, you can press Windows+R. Then you must type ‘dxdiag’ in the Run dialog that appears.
- When you enter the dxdiag, it opens a box with tabs such as System, Display, Sound, and Input. After clicking Display, you can find details of the device. It includes name of the GPU.
- You can also find details such as manufacturer, chip type, DAC type, device type. In terms of memory, you can find total memory, display memory (VRAM), and shared memory.
C. Another way for finding the type of graphics card
- In order to start, you should press the ‘Start menu’ on your PC, and then type Device manager, followed by the Enter key.
- You will see an option titled ‘Display Adapters’. When you select it, it will open a drop-down option. Here, you would see the GPU. You can also read details such as manufacturer and location.
After knowing the name of the GPU, you can research it. You can know about the features like number of cores, base clock, boost clock, and memory. You can find about the power consumption, energy requirement, heating and cooling requirement, and other such details. Knowing these specifications is important as it can help you for your specific activities and applications.
Generally, a higher number in the series is an upgraded version than the lower one. You can expect faster processing, high productivity, and more speed. For example, a RX 580 would be faster than a RX 480.
In order to know the manufacturer, model number, and other details, you can download Speccy. This application provides all the details under the category Graphics. It can provide details such as manufacturer, model name, sub vendor, GPU clock speed, temperature and core voltage.
It is necessary to know the type of graphics card in your system to understand the applications. You can see the recommended specifications as mentioned for a particular game or application. This can eliminate unnecessary wastage of cost over a graphics card that may not support the gaming. You can decide whether you would like to opt for a new one or wait until the demand drops down. It can help you to check the demand and supply scenarios in the market. You can choose to wait to understand any announcement about newer versions.
Find out about what graphics card is in your PC so you can decide whether to update or continue enjoying the current one. If your GPU does not support the game and you would like to upgrade, you can sell the old GPU to us at BuySellRam.com.